Sunday, May 11, 2008

what does it take to be a great mom?

happy mothers day to all the moms i know. i hope you all had a wonderful day. i had a great day.
i got up at the crack of dawn to drive to sonoma to pick up my favorite mom in the whole world, of course that would be my very own mommy. then we drove back down to pleasant hill and went to breakfast with my kids and their kids. we were also joined by my future son-in-law's mom and my daughter-in-law's mom and our friend kathryn who was here for the weekend from santa rosa. we had a fun time and good food at smokin' okies. they have live music at breakfast/brunch time on the weekends too, so that was nice too.

so, what does it take to be a great mom anyway? i think it takes a lot of things starting with faith in God and then add in things like patience, acceptance, and an ablility to remember what it feels like to be a little kid at all ages, and then you definitely need to know when to let go. i have three wonderful kids who amaze me everyday. i love who they have become as adults and parents.
i want to share the words that made me cry today when i read them in the card my daughter cheryl gave me. she told me "this card is simple but it says it all" and here is what it said:
"Growing up, I always felt safe and happy because of your love. And I know that the very best thing I can do as a parent is simply love my children the way you loved me." What a sweet card.
she also put a gift certificate to MDW inside the card. now that even made the card sweeter!!!
(that's the scrapbooker talking, not the mom). i read some more exciting words in the card from my daughter nicole and her boyfriend cory. these words were written by cory "you are such a funny mom and i can't wait to be your son-in-law". now that excites me! they are not engaged but have been together for several years and have lived together for the past few years. even though they talk about their wedding all the time, they are not yet engaged. i am dying for a wedding in the family so i am hoping that these words mean he is getting ready to pop the big question! so, what's your take on what it takes to be a great mom?
here are some pictures of my great mom's day including one of cory kissing nicole!



No comments: